Thursday, August 13, 2009

The totals are in: Make or Make-do project list

One might wonder why, besides the obvious economic climate, a person might choose to embark on a massive family clothing project. Well, I am the mother of two young children and haven't worked outside of the home since 2002. My lovely husband got laid off in January after 15 years in the industry because of the downturn in the economy. We have been living frugally since then, even before then. However, after 8 months of job-searching, things are still not looking up. I have started to teach knitting and crochet classes to a few private students - but much of the teaching has been volunteer work at the local library. My husband has been trying to get a small business together as well.

Thankfully, I come from a long tradition of DIYers. My mother and her grandmother sewed and cooked and knitted or crocheted. I am grateful that they taught me. I have always cooked and sewed for myself and my family to supplement what we bought. For the past 10 years or so I have been knitting and for the last year I have been crocheting. Now, the need is greater - so I'm stepping up with my skills. Besides - no sweat labor (besides my own) and no items left for the landfill.

I have decided to be a part of the make or make-do list myself and get some projects that I had planned or had supplies for made as well. After looking at my knitting and crochet list as well as the sewing list here are the totals for the year's worth of clothing:

Knitting/Crochet
  • 2 baby sweaters
  • 1 shawl
  • 14 hats (for 6 people - Rose, Badger, DH Matt, one of my brothers, his wife, and myself.)
  • 2 pairs of fingerless mitts
  • 1 pair of baby mittens
  • 3 pairs of socks (2 baby, 1 adult)
  • 2 purses (1 crocheted)
  • 1 top half of sundress
Sewing
  • 2 pairs of shorts
  • 2 pairs of polarfleece pants
  • 3 coats (1 polarfleece, 1 brocade, 1 faux suede)
  • 9 1/2 dresses (bottom half of sundress included)
  • 7 skirts (3 baby, 4 adult)
  • 2 longsleeve shirts
  • 2-3 hats (1-2 sunhats, 1 polarfleece cap)
  • 1 pair of wrap pants
  • 1 gauze top
Upcycled or Reused items
  • 6 baby shirts
  • 2 of my tshirts
  • 1 tshirt for my brother
  • 6 baby pants

No comments: